Traction To Date
- The incredible StandDesk Kickstarter launch: The most affordable automatic sit-to-stand desk
- Melissa Francis & Steven Yu on Fox News: StandDesk gets a standing ovation
- Mashable: The Affordable Desk That Could Make Standing at the Office Mainstream
- Business Insider: We Found A Standing Desk That's Both Automatic And Affordable
- Fast Company: A Standing/Sitting Desk You Can Afford - Fix your posture without going to the chiropractor
- Geek.com: The StandDesk adjustable desk hits $50,000 Kickstarter goal in 38 minutes
- WeRockYourWeb.com: Interview with StandDesk CEO, Steven Yu
The StandDesk Story
StandDesk is a revolutionary new product in the home & office space. It's the most affordable height-adjustable desk on the market and its amazing Kickstarter crowdfunding success has made it the preferred brand of tech-startups in San Francisco.
The StandDesk.co story started in 2013 when Steven Yu, Founder & CEO, was faced with a life-threatening accident and found it extremely to painful to sit and work while he recovered. He had heard about the benefits of sit-to-stand desk, but couldn’t believe their outrageous prices. As a result he began to develop a prototype for an affordable and automatic height-adjustable desk. Steven launched his idea in the spring of 2014 on Kickstarter and was blown away by when, within in the first 38 minutes of the fundraising campaign, StandDesk.co reached its goal of raising $50,000. It went on to raise $649,244 from over 1,600 people worldwide over the next 40 days. All told, in less than one year, StandDesk.co has generated over $2.5 million in sales and continues to grow at an impressive rate.
StandDesk was developed with input from top scientists (Dr. Joan Vernikos, PhD, former Life Sciences Director of NASA), biohackers (Dave Asprey, CEO of Bulletproof Executive), proven executives (Ron Snyder, former CEO of Crocs; Bing Howenstien, CEO of Backjoy; Robert Yung, former CTO of Intel and Oracle), among others, to provide an amazing product, and kickstart a revolution to get America healthy again by simply standing more.
The electric desks operate at the touch of a button and are designed to go high and low enough to support the majority of people in the proper ergonomic position. The basic desk starts with the frame (which includes the motor) and then customers have the option of purchasing high quality laminate or eco-friendly bamboo tops.
The basic frame comes with a standard 2 button controller or customers can purchase a deluxe memory control, which allows you to preset up to 4 heights (sitting or standing) for a premium experience.
With the rapid changes in the way work is getting done, telecommuting and online platforms as examples, isn’t it about time we looked to change the way we go about building our workspaces?
For more information contact: email@example.com
Why Standing is Better
- Reducing inactivity by increasing the time spent walking/standing every day is more effective than one hour of physical exercise.
- Standing desks can make you more productive.
- Standing for 3 or 4 hours a day at work is the equivalent of running 10 marathons a year.
- Standing desks can help you lose weight.
Why sitting is bad for you
There is a multitude of research available as to why sitting all day is terrible for your health. A selected collection of relevant research below.
- Infographic from Fast Company: Why sedentary lifestyles are slowly killing you.
- Washington post on the hazards of sitting.
- Venture Beat: sitting all day is bad for your brain too.
- Huffington Post: sitting is the new smoking.
- Popular science: 7 ways sitting will kill you.
- Sitting increases the risk of disability in seniors. The odds of being disabled increased 50% for each hour spent sitting.
- People who watch more than 4 hours of TV per day have a 50% higher chance of death of any kind.
- Sitting all day causes you to gain weight faster, lose bone density, and experience muscle atrophy.
- Sitting for more than 6 hours a day reduces your life expectancey by up to 7 years.
- Up to 90% more pressure is applied to your lower back when sitting.
- Your body needs perpetual motion to function optimally.
- New York Times: Bad posture and lack of exercise can make you susceptible to dropsy and hemorrhoids.
- New York Times: Smoking one cigarette reduces life expectancy by 11 mins vs sitting one hour reduces it by 21.8 minutes.
Steven Yu Bio
Steven Yu is the founder and lead product developer for StandDesk.co, an innovative company poised to change the way people stay healthy, happy, and productive. From a very young age, Steven and his father (mechanical engineer) have designed, maintained, and repaired complicated machinery, like automative engines and transmissions. Although he received his undergraduate degree in Business Administration from the University of Southern California, he later applied his engineering talents during his International Masters Program in Beijing. Steven took on a project to develop the most affordable electric powered actuating system. Armed with his childhood mechanical engineering skills and married with his unique business flare, Steven completed the project in record time and now is poised to provide an affordable sit-to-stand desk solutions to the world.
- LinkedIn Profile
- Former Partner/Co-founder at HW & Sons, a manufacturing company based in Shanghai.
- Specialization in manufacturing automation, design, clever engineering, quality control, and international trade.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business from USC.
- Master's Degree in International Trade from the University of Science and Technology Beijing.