Science | StandDesk
Why Standing Is Better
- Reducing inactivity by increasing the time spent walking/standing every day is more effective than one hour of physical exercise.
- Standing desks can make you more productive.
- Standing for 3 or 4 hours a day at work is the equivalent of running 10 marathons a year.
- Standing desks can help you lose weight.
Why Sitting Is Bad For You
- Infographic from Fast Company: Why sedentary lifestyles are slowly killing you.
- Washington post on the hazards of sitting.
- Venture Beat: sitting all day is bad for your brain too.
- Huffington Post: sitting is the new smoking.
- Popular science: 7 ways sitting will kill you.
- Sitting increases the risk of disability in seniors. The odds of being disabled increased 50% for each hour spent sitting.
- People who watch more than 4 hours of TV per day have a 50% higher chance of death of any kind.
- Sitting all day causes you to gain weight faster, lose bone density, and experience muscle atrophy.
- Sitting for more than 6 hours a day reduces your life expectancey by up to 7 years.
- Your body needs perpetual motion to function optimally.
- New York Times: Bad posture and lack of exercise can make you susceptible to dropsy and hemorrhoids.
- New York Times: Smoking one cigarette reduces life expectancy by 11 mins vs sitting one hour reduces it by 21.8 minutes.